Author Topic: Red Dihedral TR  (Read 2378 times)

John

• Administrator
Red Dihedral TR
« on: June 09, 2015, 07:53:35 am »
We checked out Red Dihedral on Red Eagle this last weekend. We found it to be occasionally dirty but also has some truly beautiful rock on the way. The azaleas were blooming on the route which made for some extremely peaceful and pleasantly scented belays.

The climb was a little sparse for gear in places and we mave had benefited from some larger gear which we didn't bring. We only had one 3" and one 4" piece which were quickly used but once I got home and looked up the original topo the climb originally called for 6". Oops! Would have been nice to have had one.

The flowers were going bonkers everywhere on the approach, at the base and on the route. I wish I took more but we had battery issues with the camera so we took less than normal.

Start was a little mossy but not problematic. There might have been more gear options if we did some excavating.

Top of P1 is a giant ledge.

Views from other end of ledge.

Don't go this way...

P2

P3 starts with a short chimney then becomes a long varying-width pitch forever..

The actual dihedral is incredibly featured. Somewhere lower down in here is Jeff's line which looks sick. It climbs up this face onto the right buttress and continues up to the summit.

Really beautiful weekend!

The original topo shows a path around a "ceiling" which we didn't really find. Perhaps at the top of the chimney at the start of P3 has a short, thick flake thing that I suppose you could climb around but it didn't feel right to do so. Hmm, at least there is no important key beta that is needed to get through this climb.

Good times!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 07:55:40 pm by John »

mungeclimber

Re: Red Dihedral TR
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 08:29:50 am »
real nice! TFPU

susan

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 10:52:58 am »
Nice John. It is a stunning route. Delk climbs tend to be a treat. As far as that ceiling goes, I wonder if it is the last part of pitch 3 where I went diagonally left on steep slab instead of staying in the widening dihedral, and then shortly after belayed at the tree at a distance from the corner. 

Topping out on Red Eagle provided a whole other view that I don't know if I'll ever quite see the likes of again - lighting, cloud pattern, the way that the more than dozens of rocky outcroppings were lit up that moment as the eye takes it all in looking north. If only I could paint since I couldn't take photos.

DaveyTree

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 11:57:36 am »
Tks for the TR. Looks like a fun line.

jeff

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 01:47:07 pm »
Can't figure out how to post pics???

susan

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 11:38:38 am »
Hi-
Below the message post window when composing a post, click the “Choose File” button to browse to the photo you want to upload one photo at a time. Next copy the link generated from the upload and tap the Mona Lisa icon above your composition window to paste the copied link. Please feel free to ask for help or say if it isn’t working for you. Would love to see some photos!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 11:40:10 am by susan »

DaveyTree

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 06:41:38 pm »
Awesome TR and gorgeous flowers